What is the Alumni?
Agriculture teachers rely on FFA Alumni to help them get more support from the community for their agriculture programs and to give them more time and freedom to do what they do best – teach!
Strategic Goals of the FFA
- Every FFA chapter has an active and fully engaged FFA Alumni affiliate at the local level. It is evident that alumni affiliates play a key role in today’s agriculture education community. The role is more vital than ever, especially in today’s education climate where funding is often short with expectations continuing to rise. An effective FFA Alumni affiliate of strong volunteers will allow teachers to “take the reins” in their classroom and allow their supporters to be charged with fundraising, advocacy and more. Affiliates reduce the work load, provide valuable resources and give agriculture education programs much needed guidance and support.
- Become leaders in advocacy for agriculture education at a local level.Once established, affiliates are enabled to be the voice and organized voting power for a local agriculture education program. The local movement is focused around building community support. This goal involves everyone who makes decisions about how to support agriculture education – including legislators, local businesses, school boards, other teachers and all members of the community. To succeed we must lead!
Want to Start an Alumni at your Chapter?
We are always looking to start and improve our Alumni Support! If you are interested in starting an Alumni Chapter at your towns school, heres some tips on how to get started:
- Contact the Alumni Vice President in your area for support and tools to get started (Northern Vice President: Ben Somers, Southern Vice President: Beth Niblett)
- Go to www.ffa.org/support/alumni/resources to find all kinds of resources for starting a new chapter
- Start finding FFA Alumni and supporters from the area that would like to continue their impact in the community (remember, they did not have to be an FFA member to be an FFA Alumni)
- Decide on a solid leadership team for your Alumni and start planning your first meeting!